6.29.2009

Name complain.

My name is Jess. It's short for Jessica. It's been Jess for the past 6 or 7 years, but before that I was known as Jessie. Never Jessica, because that's an awful name.

My high school friends called me Jessie and my parents called me Jessie, and I always knew myself as Jessie. But in college I made the bold move to introduce myself as Jess, and I've never been happier.

My mom still calls me Jessie and that's okay. Some of my high school friends still call me Jessie and that's okay. Some of R's family call me Jessie, even though I never introduced myself as such, and that's okay, too. If you started calling me Jessie, well, I bet that would also be okay.

What is not okay is when you call me Jessie and write my name out like Jesse.

What is even worse is when you do it on Facebook, where I have clearly written out the way I prefer my name to be written. It is, for example, in the field where it says my name.

Jesse is a boy's name. And if that isn't enough, it's a boy's name that I really dislike. If you're going to go that route, I'd rather you call me Leon.

2 comments:

  1. Would it be OK if I called you Uncle Jesse?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... Okay. But that's only because I *also* admire Elvis and have amazing hair.

    ReplyDelete