12.30.2010

Greatest Hits

My mother has an amazing way of ignoring me. Not ignoring the things I say as much as ignoring the fact that I have said anything at all. She also has a way of clearly stating her preference over R. I love her, but this stuff drives me up a wall.

Here are some recent favorites (all happened over the phone):

J: *picks up phone* Hey, mom, I can't talk right now.
M: Hello?
J: Hi. Mom. Can't talk. I'll call you back in five minu--.
M: Yessie, it's your mom, hi! How are you doing?
J: I'm good but I. Can't. Talk. I'll call you back, OK?
M: Your grandma just wanted to know if you're okay, hold on. (shuffling noises)
J: Mom, I can't talk, let me just call you back --
G: (Spanish) Yessica? How are you?
J: (Spanish) Grandma, I'm good I can't talk though, can I call you back?
G: (Spanish) Oh yes, OK. I just wanted to know how you were after the storm. Call when you can.


---
Short backstory to this: R came down with a bug before our flight to Miami and there was a chance he wouldn't have been able to make the plane trip. It was dicey, but he was able to come. I called her from the airport to let her know we were both on our way to Miami.
J: Mom, we're at the airport.
M: R made it?
J: Yes, R's here.
M: Oh, good. I'm so glad. Tell R that I'm really glad.
J: OK, I'll tell him.
M: Did you bring his medicine?
J: No, mom, he's fine now, he just needs rest; if he needs medicine in Miami I'll buy him some.
M: Why didn't you bring his medicine?
J: Mom, he doesn't need medicine, he needs rest. And frankly, I had to wake up early and do a lot around the house and my allergies are bothering me and I'm starting not to feel well, either, I just really want to rest and--
M: OK, so when you get here, we'll drive him home and he can rest and watch TV and you and me will go to CVS to get him his medicine.


---
J: Mom, when I get to Miami, we should pass by T-Mobile.
M: T-Mobile? Why?
J: R and I just got on a family plan, and I'm going to set it up so that I put you on my family plan so that way I can't pay for your phone bill and you don't have to worry about --
M: OK, give me a call when R gets back from his job interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment