4.28.2009

Sleep study follow-up.

I had my follow-up appointment at the Jefferson Sleep Disorders center today, to discuss the results of my study.

Well, the good news is that I don't have to do the study again.

The bad news is that in the 2 1/2 hours I was actually asleep, they were not only able to determine that I have severe obstructive sleep apnea, but something called "nocturnal arrythmia", which pretty much means that my heart rate becomes really irregular for a period of time, probably coordinating with my apnea. That's right: I stop breathing and have heart attacks while I sleep. Jeesh, way to give me insomnia.

They determined that in the time I was "asleep", I was only really sleeping soundly 36% of the time (for those of you in the biz, this is referred to as "sleep efficiency"). If this is any indication of what I get on a daily basis, then it's no wonder that I'm having problems keeping a grip on my sanity and my emotions.

So, now I have to see a cardiologist and an Ear, Nose & Throat doctor. The ENT might recommend getting my tonsils and adenoids removed, since that might be obstructing my airway. Which would be great, except for this:

Special situation: surgery and anesthesia in patients with sleep apnea
Many drugs and agents used during surgery to relieve pain and to depress consciousness remain in the body at low amounts for hours or even days afterwards. In an individual with either central, obstructive or mixed sleep apnea, these low doses may be enough to cause life-threatening irregularities in breathing. Use of analgesics and sedatives in these patients postoperatively should therefore be minimized or avoided. Surgery on the mouth and throat, as well as dental surgery and procedures, can result in postoperative swelling of the lining of the mouth and other areas that affect the airway. Even when the surgical procedure is designed to improve the airway, such as tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy or tongue reduction - swelling may negate some of the effects in the immediate postoperative period. Individuals with sleep apnea generally require more intensive monitoring after surgery for these reasons.

(Source: Wikipedia article linked above)


And even if I go through the surgery, it might not fix things... at least, that's what my Sleep doctor kept stressing. So, if that doesn't work, I'm going to have to use a CPAP mask to sleep for the rest of my life.




Either way. Fuck me.

3 comments:

  1. I know people that use that mask. It's 100% effective and a generally all-around better choice than possibly-life-threatening surgery. They have told me that it's annoying at first, but the quality and quantity of sleep it allows more than makes up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I don't know anyone who uses it, but I've heard similar stuff... that it's one of those things where once you get used to the mask, you sleep much better with it. Unfortunately, I'm a super picky sleeper. But you're right, trying that out beats a life-risking surgery that might end up doing nothing for me.

    I guess I'll wait to see what the ENT doctor recommends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew a guy that used a mask like that and he lived a normal life. Granted, I only saw him during daylight hours, but still, normal life.

    ReplyDelete