1.19.2010

A long weekend.

Ah, the sensation that is Avatar. I call it the The DaVinci Code of movies.

James Cameron apparently took a dated SyFy (Siffy) movie script and threw $500 million at it. Don't get me wrong: it looks beautiful and all the technical aspects of the movie were incredibly well done. But 500 million dollars a good movie does not make. For example,

1. The plot, which was basically mashed together from several different movies, was predictable and cheesy. The parallels to the Iraq war were obvious and silly, and didn't really work with the plot. I remember reading someone's review, and he said "There's no point in this movie where you can't predict what's going to happen next." This is very, very true.
2. For the near-20 years that Cameron "worked" on this movie, I wish he had done a little bit of research on tribes. Clearly, these Na'vi were supposed to parallel Native American or African tribes. I'm sorry, a peace-loving people that detest needless killing would not be made entirely of skilled hunters. Also, for a tribe that's full of traditions, the Na'vi chick mated with Jake Sully (predictably) over her intended mate without any hesitation.
3. Completely one-dimensional (PUN INTENDED) characters. The "Get Some!" marine stereotype was done and buried during the post-Vietnam Era, move past it, Cameron. Oh, and that puppy-kicking general that never let up his desire to wipe out a civilization (FOR NO REASON, might I add) was unrealistic and unnecessary. Way to revive the '80s villain.
4. The horrible dialogue, and frankly, with the exception of Sigourney Weaver and the main Na'vi chick, the actors were pretty lousy, too.
5. WHY WOULD THERE BE A WATERFALL ON A FLOATING ROCK?
6. Unobtanium? Really? You didn't even want to try coming up with something better?
7. The technology generally was alright, but the power-loader robot suits which had hands were really not well thought out. How would they know where to find the trigger? Why couldn't they just have the guns attached, since these were military killing robots? Also, when the main baddie died in the suit, why did the robot fall to the ground?
8. The Deus-Ex-Machina ending. How convenient that the Na'vi happened to have the exact type of magic that would tranfer a human soul to an empty Na'vi body. What the hell reason would they have for needing that particular kind of magic?
9. If you're planning to have an air-strike on a target, why would you put soldiers on the ground? Also, for all their technology, apparently, laser-guided missiles were just not as good as a crate of explosives attached to a detonator.
10. For a 3 hour movie, the pacing was not that great.
11. I really wish that one of the Na'vi people had purred at some point. It would have been hilarious.
12. I realize that at this point I'm nit-picking, but why, if the Na'vi have four fingers on each hand, did they give the Avatars five fingers?


The 3-D aspect was good, but it definitely needs work. There were a lot of scenes where the 3-D was very useful, but for most of the movie, it really didn't make a difference, and for some of the movie it actually made things worse. I.e., when the camera tried to catch people running past it, it couldn't focus, so it mostly looked like a 3-D blur.

So if you want to see a bad movie that just happens to be exceptionally pretty, by all means. Overall, I don't recommend it, and I wouldn't see it again -- 3-D filming is only going to get better, and soon there will be movies which are pretty and good coming out. And honestly, don't waste your money on the IMAX 3-D. As time goes on, I am starting to agree more and more with R that the "IMAX experience" isn't necessarily better.

Honestly, I couldn't sleep last night because I was pissed about how bad this movie was, and how many rave reviews it was getting. Someone was talking about the Oscars for god's sake.

This is almost how pissed I was after I wasted my time reading a Dan Brown novel.


In another news, we went apartment-hopping with our Century 21 guy on Monday. We looked at two places and one of them we absolutely fell in love with. After talking about it, we were ready to sign on right away. The problem? (because of course there's a problem) The landlady has a No-Pets policy. Apparently our realtor thought we were kidding when we said we had two cats, so he showed us an amazing place that doesn't take any pets. Way to tease, damn guy. We're working on a negotiation, but your guess is as good as mine on how this will turn out. R is hopeful, I'm not so much. We'll see.

3 comments:

  1. A few comments on the review. Note, I did not like the movie but, as seems to be the general consensus, I did think the technology was amazing. The only major gripe I had was that it felt like they slacked a bit with the pure-CGI scenes. I think the Na'vi looked better and more realistic when integrated in with the humans. The other scenes looked like one of those Uncanny Valley-filled Zemeckis movies...

    0. San "Worthington" is a worthless actor. Maybe it's due to him trying to stifle his native (Australian, I believe?) accent, but he doesn't convey a single emotion throughout the whole film.
    1. http://cdn.fd.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/James-Camerons-Pocahontas.gif
    2. That's a good observation, never noticed that. All tribes need hunters for food, but yes, the tribe seemed to be overflowing with them. I guess they have nothing better to do with their time than to train to fight. They didn't show a single, solitary aspect of Na'vi culture that didn't involve training to be a warrior.
    2a. Come on, there was a montage. All you need to fall in love is a montage. Everyone knows that.
    3. The main bad guy was just awful. The only character in the whole film that showed any sort of arc was the weaselly guy, but even he just frowned while they blew everything up, without trying to stop anything.
    4. The horrible, horrible dialogue and subtitles in Papyrus. Perhaps that makes me a nerd, but if you spend $500 mil to create an entire new language, put a few bucks into not using a Windows system font.
    5. Baffling.
    6. I wasn't as offended as many over this, I think because they maybe mention the word twice through the entire running time. I'll give them a pass, though I still do think it's stupid.
    7. Two words: ROBOT KNIFE.
    7a. The exo suit in District 9 was so much more bad-ass.
    8. This didn't bother me so much for a few reasons. First, they introduced the concept with Sigourney's character, so it didn't come from nowhere. Second, I think it was less the specific transfer from human to Na'vi and more the general moving of *any spirit* through the tree from body to body. Third, you knew he had to become Na'vi somehow, and this made more sense than if the humans had some magical soul teleportation system.
    9. The laser-guided missiles wouldn't work in the flux vortex. God, that was a horrible, horrible sentence.
    10. Meh.
    11. The main girl totally should have during the sex scene. Also, do Na'vi have sex by plugging in their little dangly bonding doo-dads to each other? They never really made that clear. Seems you could show that and still stay pg-13.
    12. I certainly did not notice that, good catch! Seems silly to me.

    I'm actually glad I saw it in IMAX. Since the only thing I enjoyed about the movie was the visuals, I'm happy to have had the best visual experience possible. I can't fucking believe that it won Best Picture and Best Director at the Golden Globes, though. I really hope that is not foreshadowing for the Oscars...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha - awesome post. Best girlfriend - EVER. I won't wade into this, my comments mirror yours. About the IMAX, maybe its worth it with good seats, but we were ONLY 45 minutes early and all of those were long gone. Furthermore, its a smaller band than usual. If you are 2 rows down from center you have pan your head constantly, which was an especial pain with the sensitivity of the 3d. With the color, blur, focus, and fine detail issues with 3d, I'll have to blaspheme and say it would be AS good(ish) in Non-Max 2d.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dr. B:
    0. YES.
    1. HILARIOUS.
    4. Ha! You know, that's a very good point. I knew that font looked familiar.
    7a. I want to see District 9!
    8. Okay, I'll give it to you. It just seems like they'd never use this soul transfer for any reason, and it looked to me like an afterthought.
    9. Ha! That's a good point. You know, one of the things that really bothered me is that they DID think out some things. I.e., R mentioned that in a low-gravity planet, it makes sense for the Na'vi to be super tall. It amazes me how they really got some things totally right and flubbed some other things. It could've been such a better movie.

    Oh god, Best Director? Best Picture? I'm so glad I didn't watch that. I would've been fuming.

    R: I agree. I know why they wouldn't, but if the theater was bigger, i.e., longer perpendicular to the screen, it would actually be awesome, because then most of the seats would be ideal. But sitting off to the side and towards the front sucks in IMAX, and it sucks doubly in IMAX 3-D.

    ReplyDelete